The Royal Palace

[vc_row][vc_column width=”1/4″][vc_column_text][/vc_column_text][/vc_column][vc_column width=”1/2″][vc_column_text]

Singbomè Palace in Ouidah is the seat of the government of the Chiefdom of Ouidah and the Court of Chacha IX. It is at Singbomè that Privy Council meetings, court audiences and Family Court hearings are held. The palace is built on the ancestral lands of the concession granted to the Chacha by the King of Dahomey. In Benin today, the royal palace compound is equivalent to the entire and intact extent of the autonomous territory of the Seigneury of Ouidah.

Built in 1917 by Norberto de Souza, Chacha VI, the palace’s name “Singbomè” in the Fon language means “the tiered manor” The grand Afro-Brazilian-style residence overlooks the Place Chacha, Ouidah’s largest civic square. The four-storey construction comprises several wings, as well as adjoining pavilions and beautiful gardens.

[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][vc_column width=”1/4″][vc_column_text][/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column][vc_gallery type=”image_grid” images=”376,375,374,372,371,370″ img_size=”200X200″][/vc_column][/vc_row]